Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A drug for Down syndrome?

Interesting article from Sunday's New York Times magazine here.

Makes a few references to Down syndrome as a "disease" and to "Down syndrome baby" or "Down research" and the like, but thought-provoking article that makes me consider the murky territory that lies between the courage to change the things I can and the serenity to accept the things I can't and how unsettling moving along that spectrum can be.

The idea of a drug that affects brain chemistry to facilitate learning is very tantalizing. As this article mentions, however, the other scientific "solution" that's out there right now is a noninvasive prenatal blood test that will make routing testing for Down syndrome during the first trimester much easier—a test that the article refers to as being run by "a competing set of scientists [who] are on the cusp of achieving an entirely different kind of medical response to Down syndrome: rather than treat it, they promise to prevent it."

Two sides of the "faith in science to fix the problem" coin that seem inseparable though I want the benefits of the one without the moral ugliness of the other.

No comments: