Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Catastrophe

We're reading E.B. White's "The Trumpet of the Swan" right now—one of my all-time childhood favorites. I vividly remember being nestled in with Mark and Mom in the pull-out part of the trundle bed, listening with delight to Louis's adventures.

Last night we got to the part where Sam Beaver takes Louis to first grade to learn how to spell on a chalk board. After Louis copies a "C" and then "C-A-T" with ease, Mrs. Hammerbotham decides to try a harder word, so she spells "catastrophe."

I thought I'd ask Megan if she knew what catastrophe meant.

Me: "Have you ever heard that word, Megan?"
Megan: "I think so."
Me: "Do you have a guess about what it means?"
Megan: (hesitating) Ummm...
Luke: (giggling) "I know something that's a catastrophe."
Me: "Oh yeah? What's that, buddy?"
Luke: "Our house is a catastrophe." (hysterical laughing)

Yep.

No comments: