Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm a little ...

teapot!

Here's the (handwritten) note Julie got from one of the therapists today when she picked up James:


Mrs. Missey,
This morning while playing with James and using his tech-talk with two choices ("teapot" and "gears"), James consistently chose the teapot.

The exciting news is that the first two times James pushed "teapot" on the tech-talk and I said "teapot," James clearly repeated "teapot" as I handed it to him! The 3rd time, he didn't say it, but when I said it again, James said "pot."

As we continued to play and request many more times, James again repeated "teapot" one time. Has he ever said this before? He loves the toy and this was a very pleasant surprise!


The tech-talk she's referring to is James's super-talker which we've been bad about using consistently at home, but they're using at school—you record your voice saying different choices, have an image of what each choice is, and then James can press one side or the other to make his choice with both picture and sound. And no, he's never said "teapot." He will say a very cute "open" if you're playing with him and make the sign for open (pulling hands apart, like a reverse clap), and he likes to put his hands up in the air when you say "up" and slam them down when you say "down." And he's been signing "dad" very consistently lately, though still only when prompted.

Our videocamera is having its microphone repaired. I should have it back in about two weeks, so I'll post video then.

No comments: